Barbell Exercises For Legs
Today we are going to list top barbell exercises for legs.
Barbell Exercises for Legs
1. Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Muscles Worked: Hamstrings, back, glutes, and abdominal muscles.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart holding the barbell in your lowered arms in front of you.
- Bend forward at the waist, keeping your back flat, and keeping your head looking up.
- Lock your knees and stop going down when you feel your hamstrings fully stretched.
You can make this more difficult by doing this on a single leg. This is considered one of the best barbell exercises for legs.
2. Good Mornings
Muscles Worked: Hamstrings, glutes, spinal erectors, back, and scapular stabilizers.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and place the barbell on your shoulders.
- Bend forward at the waist until your chest is almost parallel to the floor with your knees slightly bent.
- Slowly push your hips forward to go back to the starting position.
This is considered second most important barbell exercises for legs.
3. Walking Lunges
Muscles Worked: Quads, glutes, and core.
- Stand with your feet shoulder apart with a barbell across your upper back.
- Step forward with your right leg. Drop your left knee till it nearly touches the ground.
- Push through the heel of your right foot to raise yourself back up.
- Step forward with your left foot repeating the lunge on your right leg
This is considered third most important barbell exercises for legs.
4. Standing Calf Raise
Muscles Worked: Calves
- Place a block or two barbell weights on floor.
- Place a barbell across your back and step up on the block, so you are on the balls of your feet.
- Slowly lift your heels up and then lower them back to the floor.
This is considered fourth most important barbell exercises for legs.
5. Glute Bridges
Muscles Worked: Hamstrings, glutes, abs, and adductors.
- Begin seated on the floor with a barbell over your legs. Roll the bar so that it is directly above your hips, and lay down flat on the floor.
- Driving through your heels, lift your hips up and extend as far as possible.
This is considered fifth most important barbell exercises for legs.
6. Front Barbell Squat
Muscles Worked: Quads, hamstrings, calves, back, abs, glutes, and adductors.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Place the barbell on the front of your shoulders and cross your arms over the bar to hold it in place (or use an underhand grip).
- Bend your knees and lower into a squat.
- Slowly stand back up without locking your knees.
7. Barbell Squats
Muscles Worked: Quads, calves, hamstrings, and glutes.
- Stand up straight while holding a barbell behind you with a shoulder width grip with the palms of your hands facing back.
- Squat until your upper thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Push up with your heels till you are standing back up.